First week in my second round of 21 Day Fix is finishing up today with yoga which I’m looking forward to. I love active recovery days because they allow my body to recover from training and well…because they are easier days!
I started this past week with getting over a nasty cold which made Monday’s workout brutal! Monday’s focus was total body cardio which is a pretty intense 30 minute cardio HIIT (high intense interval training) workout. I had to stop frequently and it was the hardest workout that I have done in a long time. I should have probably taken the day off but I was feeling better so thought that I would try to sweat the cold out. It must have worked because I woke up Tuesday, feeling more like myself and was able to crush my upper body workout. I was able to push myself during my plank series and increase the intensity by doing one leg planks. It felt empowering to feel how strong I have become since the beginning of January. Many times we don’t feel like we are progressing from day to day but when you compare yourself today to who you were when you started, you’ll see the difference! This is one of the reasons why I document my journey through pictures, on Facebook and this blog. It helps me motivate myself especially on those days when I don’t want to workout or those days when I think…’it would be so much easier to just not be on this journey’.
The remainder of the week I got my daily workouts in, incorporated a longer stretching series and did some target foam rolling due to lower body pain. As far as my nutrition for this past week, it wasn’t great but it wasn’t awful either. I did have 2 very high carb days so I made it a focus to limit my carbs this coming week as well as getting them in earlier in my day.
My favorite meal from this past week was homemade chicken meatball soup. Normally I make it on the stove top but this time I decided to give it a whirl in the crockpot and it turned out even better plus it made the house smell delicious! The family and I had it for 2 nights worth of dinners which was great because let’s face it, it’s a pretty great day when you don’t have to make dinner!
As I go into week 2 of this second round I’m feeling positive, energetic and prepared. Below are this weeks workouts and meal guide that I will be using. A couple of things to keep in mind when you are looking at my workout schedule. The thirty minute workout is my requirement. The workouts in addition to those are based on my own personal goals. I enjoy doing some type of cardio daily with the exception of my active recovery day. This is why you will see a HIIT workout on my lifting days. Also, my lower body has a tendency to stay tight so in order to help with that, I make it a point to do 10 minutes of dedicated stretching time followed by foam rolling. I have noticed since adding these to my workout schedule, my flexibility has improved, my body is able to do more during my required workouts and I’m not as sore after my workouts.
Now, it’s time to go crush my yoga then hit the grocery store for this weeks meals. I hope y’all have an amazing and productive week and remember YOU are in total control of the outcome. Plan accordingly, take action and I promise YOU will be able to achieve anything!
clean eating, dedication, determination, diet, diets, eating well, exercise, fitness, fitness blog, goals, health, healthy, inspire, meal guide, meal plan, meal planning, meal planning tips, meal plans, meal prep, new you, success, tips for meal planning, weight loss, weight loss blog
Here’s my thoughts on meal prepping….it’s a MUST you guys! If you want to succeed at all times with putting the proper nutrition into your body then this is the first step! Here is EXACTLY what I do each week.
1) Clean out your fridge! There is nothing worse than opening your fridge and having a mixture of old and new foods…so get rid of the old. Make sure you wipe the shelves clean with a damp cloth as well. This will make your fridge look so much more inviting when you open it.
2) Make a list. Make a plan as to what you are going to be making for the next 4-5 days. Choose 1-3 meals for breakfast, snack ideas and 2-4 ideas for lunch and dinner. By coming up with this many food choices you can only purchase what you will need and on day 6 & 7 you can use up whatever leftovers you have. Not only will this save you time cooking but it will also SAVE YOU MONEY!
3) Get shopping. Take your list to the store and STICK TO IT! Don’t purchase things that are not on your list. When shopping, make sure you stick to the parameter of the store to guarantee you are getting whole foods filled with nutrients and vitamins.
4) Wash. When you come home, wash, cut and store your clean veggies and fruit in proper serving baggies. This will help for those times when you are packing snacks/meals or in a hurry. You can grab and go in a flash. You can also do this for pantry items. If you buy a bag of pretzels or some other snacks then portion them out. You can purchase a nice looking bin at Wal-Mart or Target and use it for all snacks. Portion out the snacks into snack bags, toss in the snack box and when you are packing, it’s already done! This will also help the kiddos learn portion control 🙂
5) Cook ahead. Look at your menu for the week and see what you can make ahead….especially for breakfast and lunches. I normally make 3-4 chicken breast every Sunday and use throughout the week for salads, wraps or as the main dish. I also find having a bowl of hard boil eggs in the fridge is helpful. Again, every Sunday I make a dozen of hard boil eggs and normally have one along with turkey crumbles (also made ahead of time) for my mid morning snack.
6) Plate it up. Line your countertops with containers and make your meals for the week. When you are packing lunches or it’s time for dinner, this will save so much time!
7) Organize your fridge. Place all veggies, fruits and protein at eye level. DO NOT put your veggies and fruits in the crisper! Instead if you have unhealthy options such as pudding snacks, beer, soda etc put these items in the crisper. Out of sight, out of mind….right?!
Follow these tips and I promise, you won’t have to dine out, won’t have to stop at a vending machine because you will always be prepared!! You will achieve your goals with planning and prepping…I promise!
abs made in kitchen, accountability, clean eating, eating basics, eating well, fitness blog, food, food porn, fruits, grocery list, healthy food, meal plan, meal prep, motivation, no guessing, no junk, nutrition, nutrition blog, portion control, protein, super foods, veggies, weight loss blog, what to eat, when to eat
It’s time to go back to the basics with our eating. So many of us are on the go, we may have too many cheat days or just lose focus of our goals. If this describes you, then I would like to invite you to this group 🙂
We will be starting off this group on Aug 4. Get ready to make a clean break from bad habits, jump-start a healthier lifestyle and even see some pounds being lost.
During our time together we will discuss the following topics:
-when to eat
-how often to eat
-what types of foods should you be eating
I will also be supplying a grocery list and meal plan for the complete 7 days. You will NOT have to think at all during our time together. Your only responsibility is to get refocused on your eating and remember your goals.
If you are interested in joining this group please email me at Jennifer.S.Hepka@gmail.com and I’ll add you to the group 🙂